A Brief History of Ashdell

Ashdell first opened in 1947 and was run by Miss Naylor who was governess to 18 young boys and girls. Sir Peter Roberts Bt and Lady Roberts, after having their fourth child, asked Miss Naylor if she was interested in setting up a primary school.

1n 1948, 266 Fulwood Road was bought and refurbished by Sir Peter Roberts Bt and Lady Roberts. The new school had two classrooms where Miss Naylor and her sister, Mrs Bainbridge, taught children up to the age of 12.

In 1952 the adjoining house, 268 Fulwood Road, was bought and walls were knocked down to expand the classrooms and the playground.

In 1968 Miss Naylor retired, after 20 years as Ashdell’s headmistress and Mrs Inman took her place. Two new classrooms were added upstairs and a kitchen was added so meals could be prepared on the premises.

In 1970 Ashdell became an all girls’ school, and Richard Pickworth, the last boy on the roll, spent his last few weeks of term as the only boy.

The school became a charitable trust in 1971 which enabled further expansion and improvements, including double glazing and a new school hall with underfloor heating.

Mrs Inman retired in 1983 after 15 years at Ashdell and Mrs Upton took over.

In 1985, Sir Peter Roberts Bt died and Honourable Mark Balfour became Chairman.

Friends of Ashdell was formed in 1986 and has gone on to raise money for the school through a host of exciting events, enjoyed by parents, pupils and staff.

Aurora House was bought in 1991 and was transformed into a beautiful building set to house the new Pre-Prep department. The accompanying Coach house became an extra kitchen and dining room and the grounds were turned into a playground, garden and car park.

By 1996, Balfour Hall had been extended to twice its size and the floor above became a purpose built IT room, music room and practice rooms. The kitchens in the Prep building became clockrooms and the Coach house became the kitchen and dining room for the whole school.

In 2003, the computer room and Pre-Prep were refurbished with new computers and broadband was installed. A year later, the classrooms were revamped with new furniture, interactive whiteboards, laptops and carpets, creating a more modern and brighter working environment.

In 2007 Snowdrops Pre-school opened in association with Birkdale School. This is a co-education unit for children aged 3-5.

As Ashdell celebrates its 60th year, the school continues to ensure our girls flourish in a secure and stimulating environment which helps them to reach their highest potential.

Latest Tweets

Ashdell Prep School
@ashdellprep